Making chlorine dioxide solution at home can be a useful skill for water purification. Here's a step-by step guide using the Chlorine Dioxide Kit from AllOne Wellness and others.
Step 1: Gather the necessary materials:
1. Make sure you have a WPS Chlorine Dioxide KIT. AllOne Wellness offers the WPS Water Purification Chlorine Dioxide KIT, which includes Part A 25% or 22.4% Sodium Chlorite and Part B 4% Hydrochloric Acid (HCL) or 50% Citric Acid solution.
2. Additionally, ensure you have safety goggles, gloves, a clean food-grade glass or ceramic mixing containers, a wooden or plastic spoon to stir (no metal) and possibility a measuring device for large amounts.
Step 2: Safety precautions:
Safety is a top priority in this process. Follow these safety measures:
1. Ensure proper ventilation as the buildup of chlorine dioxide gas can be hazardous at high levels. You can identify this gas by its distinct smell of chlorine, indicating that it's active and working
2. Wear safety goggles and gloves to protect your eyes and skin from potential splashes or spills.
Step 3: Preparation:
1. Use clean containers, ideally made of glass or ceramic, and measure out equal amounts of Part A and Part B separately. This means you should have the same quantity of both Part A and Part B, maintaining a 1:1 ratio.
2. Make sure to follow the recommended proportions carefully to achieve the desired chlorine dioxide concentration.
3. 1 ml = 20 drops from the bottle's turret cap.
4. "1 drop" equals 2 drops, comprising 1 from Part A and 1 from Part B. Emphasizing the significance of sodium chlorite over the activator.
Step 4: Mixing:
1. In a glass or ceramic mixing container, pour the pre-measured quantities of Part A, which is Sodium Chlorite Solution, and Part B, which is a food-grade activator.
2. Thoroughly mix these two components together. This thorough mixing is crucial to activate the chlorine dioxide effectively. You swirl or stir with a spoon in the container to mix them as well.
Step 5: Activation of Chlorine Dioxide:
1. Let the mixture sit and activate for about 30 seconds. Initially, a few drops will turn it yellow, while larger quantities (over 50 ml) will transform it into a dark amber shade, and eventually, it may become nearly black. The more activated WPS you have, the darker the color will become, almost reaching a black hue. This color transformation is a helpful indicator that the solution is working effectively.
2. Furthermore, you may notice a chlorine-like smell, which will become more pronounced as you use larger amounts of the activated solution. This odor can also serve as a sign that the process is working correctly.
Step 6: Purifying Water with Activated Chlorine Dioxide Solution
Now that you have your activated chlorine dioxide solution ready, you can use it to purify water. Here's how to do it:
1. Refer to the instructions that came with your kit for the recommended dosage based on the amount of water you want to treat. The dosage can vary depending on the water's level of impurity.
2. If you're using the AllOne Wellness WPS Kit then add 1 to 3 activated drops for every gallon of water. Using 1 drop per gallon is suitable for water that's mildly questionable but relatively clean.
3. If the water is heavily contaminated, you can use up to 3 drops per gallon ensure it is pathogen-free. This is the upper limit for purifying water.
4. Once you've added the required number of drops to your water, give it a good shake or stir to ensure thorough mixing.
5. Allow the treated water to sit for a minimum of 30 minutes. The specific duration may vary depending on the level of contamination in the water.
6. If the water is murky or contains visible particles, it's advisable to use a filter or cheesecloth to strain it before you start the purification process.
7. Remember, the effectiveness of the purification process is determined by the dosage and the time you allow the solution to work, which in turn depends on the initial condition of the water.
Step 7: Testing (Optional):
1. You can typically gauge whether the kit is working by observing its appearance and scent. However, for added assurance, you can conduct a preliminary test to confirm that the mixture has reached the desired strength. You can use testing strips designed for chlorine dioxide concentration testing, which are available here. This testing step is valuable in ensuring that the concentration falls within the ideal range for effective water purification.
2. Remember, the process of creating chlorine dioxide can be potentially hazardous if not handled properly. Always follow the instructions provided with the kit, prioritize safety precautions, and handle chemicals responsibly.
If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, feel free to ask. Stay safe and enjoy your water purification journey!
All of AllOne Wellness WPS Water Purification Solutions are a product of Canada and we are also shipping to the United States.